Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Who is this guy?

Who are you? You may very well be asking yourself that question. Well, what I ain't is an SEO/SEM guru. I am a partner in an online software business, a small start-up, who became interested in how to drum up traffic during our pre-funding period, when marketing cash was non-existent but we needed to attract traffic and build a user base.

My internet marketing knowledge largely consisted of the fact that I was peripherally aware that Google ranks pages. I even had the vaguest idea of the manner (something to do with the amount of links). But that was about it. So I went looking around for information on what I could do to make our site as attractive to visitors as possible. I didn't find much, or I found too much, I suppose would be more accurate.

There are many students of what goes on under the hood of the internet, amateur and professional mechanics, really. These people all seem to share a couple traits; they are extremely intelligent and they are happy to share what they know. Unfortunately, the discussions of masters are difficult for the novice to understand. I know this because I am a complete novice. What I propose to do with this blog is to share my struggles to find my way through the massive piles of technical information and understand the mysteries of Search Engine Marketing and Optimization.

Welcome and here is hoping we all find what we are looking for.

No comments: